Volunteer opportunities at FSC Slapton
There are lots of different ways people support the work here at FSC Slapton. Some work as part of a team on the reserve or go out with education groups whilst some might complete survey work or support with admin and marketing.
Below are some examples of the groups, tasks and opportunities we have on offer. This isn’t all we have to offer so if you’re not sure what you might like to do then get in touch and we can have a chat.
Conservation Action Group
Task might include:
- Managing Information display at fishing Hut – keeping clean, sightings board neat and up-to-date, and publicity boards up-to-date.
- Light clearing of trail side vegetation using hand tools
- Long term monitoring of birds, insects, plants and dormice
- Water Quality Monitoring
- Beach Profiling
We are looking for someone who likes driving or has some experience in driving larger vehicles than a standard family car, has D1 entitlement on their driving licence, who knows their way around the roads of South Devon, is able to relate to students and visiting tutors in a professional and friendly manner.
Our Outreach team support our work at Slapton in two ways.
Projects: Working as a group to develop, create and implement different projects and initiatives at the Centre e.g.
- Beach clean – schools project and The BIG beach clean
Marketing support: To support with delivery of the Centre’s Marketing plan. This might include:
- Promotions at farmer’s markets, festivals and other events
- Poster and newsletter distribution
To help maintain the Centres outside areas including
- Herb garden
- Sunken garden
Gardening knowledge would be helpful but not essential.
Practical Conservation Team
Support Field Centre staff on a range of practical tasks. You will need to be physically fit and happy to work out in all weathers. Some experience of using hand tools would be helpful.
Conservation Tasks might include:
- Clearing vegetation with hand tools
- Constructing woodland paths and steps
- Hand pulling invasive plants.
- Constructing fences and stiles.
If you are interested in any of the above or would like to know more please email: [email protected]